Internet2 is a super high bandwidth network dedicated to research and educational institutions. Internet2 is, put simply, the name of a global community of networks. For K-20 (kindergarten through undergraduate programs) the K-20 Initiative helps to connect Internet2 members and projects related to connections over Internet2. Internet2 develops and deploys advanced network applications and technologies for research and higher education, accelerating the creation of tomorrow's Internet.
Search Internet2 K-20 Projects
A leadership/study group from NYS BOCES met in August 2006 to share, investigate and brainstorm ideas for connecting schools to Internet2 projects.
- Video & desktop conferencing
- Virtual Field Trips - Real-time learning with experts
- Streaming Content - Data, audio/video streams from remote sites
- Hobart & William Smith/Seneca Lake Project
- Remote instrumentation - Controling instruments and equipment from remote locations
- Lehigh University has made the manipulation of an electron microscope available for schools from their own computers**Mars Rover Project - Real-time navigation of a rover over a scale model of a crater located on the Martian surface.
- Virtual reality (i.e. -Virtual Harlem)
Continuing the Conversation...
Visit the Discussion page to continue the discussion about applications of Internet2 in K-20 classrooms.
- Meaningful classroom application
- International Class-to-Class
- Create unique I2 applications (Science)
- Using Model Schools wiki to list projects to connect
- What connections can we make internationally?
- Being connected to I2 we need to seek out and create connections with those that have I2 connectivity.
- International Parnter Connections & Networks
- What can we do beyond video conferencing?
- Connections do not need to be made through an Internet browser