Coding In The Classroom
Coding In The Classroom
Computer science drives innovation in the U.S. economy and society. Despite growing demand for jobs in the field, it remains marginalized throughout the U.S. K-12 education system. Code.org
How does Coding help students learn?
- Students become logical thinkers
- Students become persistent problem-solvers
- Students will learn how to debug
- Students will collaborate
- Students will communicate
- Students will learning about applications of Computer Sciences
Apps for Coding
1. Tynker - Free Grades K - 12 No internet connectivity required. Start by solving coding puzzles. Great for Hour-of-Code and more. Easily build games using the Tynker Workshop, with themed graphics,10 game-kits and customizable characters to inspire imaginative games and stories. Additional puzzle levels are available as in-app purchases.
2. Kodable - Free Educational iPad game offering kid-friendly introduction to programming concepts and problem solving AGES: 5 and up
3. Cargobot - Free The puzzle game that challenges your brain and helps you learn programming concepts. Cargo-Bot is the first game programmed entirely on iPad using Codea
4. Daisy the Dinosaur - Free Grades K - 5 This fun app has an easy drag and drop interface that kids of all ages can use to animate Daisy to dance across the screen. Kids will intuitively grasp the basics of objects, sequencing, loops and events by solving this app's challenges. After playing Daisy, kids can choose to download a kit to program their own computer game.
5. ScratchJR - Free Ages 5 - 7 children will learn important new skills as they program their own interactive stories and games.
6. Hopscotch - Free Ages 8 and up. Hopscotch is programming designed for everyone! In a few minutes, you'll be making characters move, dance, draw, and interact. Control your project by tapping, tilting, shaking, and even shouting at your iPad.
1. Tynker - Free - Grades K - 5 - interactive games that facilitate learning about coding.
2. Scratch - Free - Ages 8 and up Graphical application gives kids a taste of programming.
4. CodeHS - Free - Grades: 8 - 12 The best way to learn coding at school or home.
Additional Resources & Articles
- Code Academy After School Program
- Edutopia Article: Add Coding to Your Elementary Curriculum Right Now
- Edutopia Article: 15+ Ways of Teaching Every Student to Code (Even Without a Computer)
- Edutopia Article: Coding for Kids Revisited